Saturday, February 5, 2011

Shifting from books to Nooks

Those of us attached to books, almost in an unhealthy way, need to learn new modes of sharing information. Don't get me wrong, I still love the feel and smell of an old book and I often strip new books of their horrible plastic-feeling covers. But as my book club friend Jim says, it is the information in these books that is more important than the books themselves. He shared this while we were reading a pretty heavy YA novel, The Book Thief.

Those of us who still want to share information need to learn new technologies. I have always been tech-deficient, but even I have learned Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger. You can see a horrible example of my html learning if you look for my old Angelfire account (circa age 19). Thank god it is no longer the first thing that pops up when you search my name!

O.K. Getting a little off-topic... There will still be paper versions of literature as long as some of us still read them, but the internet is the main source of information these days. However, because anybody can post anything, you need to research your sources to determine which of them you can trust.

Related links:
In Praise of the American Short Story - The New York Times
About Electric Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.