Thursday, February 3, 2011

Be like a baby in Snowmaggedon

Source: My brother, Bryce Ulmer, created this t-shirt design.

So many things I could write about today, and I can only choose one of them because I only have enough time to write about one of them! "Snomaggedon" has descended upon us in the Kenosha/Racine area of Wisconsin, and it is pulling people together in a way I haven't seen in a looooong time. I found myself stranded in Racine at my lover's apartment, but I am happy to be here with him.

But what I really want to focus on today is the positive things - which doesn't include feeling trapped by the snow. My friend Ellen sings wonderful songs. One of her lyrics sticks out to me: "Be like a baby the Bible say, so I stay like a baby to this very day." Today, I got the chance to play and cuddle the sweetest baby. He laid there, looking around at the wonderful world, his arms open wide. Looking for the world to embrace him.

Sometimes I wish I could be filled with awe. And why can't I marvel at the world around me? I can choose to gripe about this snow, or I can choose to watch how it glistens. Before grabbing my shovel, I want to take a moment to really look at the snow. I need to remind myself to be present in every waking hour of my life. To truly experience the things around me and stop living so much in my head.

More about Snowmeggedon 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.