Friday, January 28, 2011

Ideas escape books' constraints

We live in an amazing time. It is both exciting and terrifying. We can communicate our ideas across so many mediums to so many people. As a good friend told me a few months ago, it is the ideas that matter the most, not the books that contain them.

I have always thirsted for knowledge, but I have recently realised that the knowledge I have consumed is the knowledge that other people have fed me. I desired so much to succeed in school, in a traditional setting, that I missed out on a lot of things.

My new lover has opened up so many worlds to me that I never knew existed. Forms of knowledge and ways of knowing that absolutely astound me. Things I cannot find words for, things I can't even begin to define. Things as wonderful, terrifying, and unknowable as God.

And all that knowledge is out there, but it is up to us to sort through it now. Our level of connectivity is both benificial and detrimental to us. Because as easily as positive ideas can spread, negative ones can invade. Find the things that help you and stick to them. Acknowledge but do not internalize the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.