Sunday, January 9, 2011

Re-Sourcing My Energy

I will find the resources I need. I am very resourceful when I need to be. But these “resources” we refer to...what does it mean to “re-source”? Why can't we just “source”? Is it because we are using so-called raw substances to create something else? Perhaps.




It seems that we are always short on resources, that we do not have enough to go around. Is that what defines a resource? Must it be scarce to be useful? Contemplate these things, and tell me if what we really need are resources or something else entirely different.



There are so many sources that might be infinitely more useful, like hope and faith, for example, like good friends and family who can help us find the things we really need. And of course, we must make the fine distinction between want and need. It is a distinction we must keep making and keep defining for ourselves.



We need food. We need water. We need shelter. These things are a given. But those other things? Like a sense of purpose. Like people who care about us. These are a little harder to pin down. And in today's day and age, we find ourselves needing things we used to only want.



Like the internet, for instance. Without it, I feel so lost and disconnected from everything and everyone I know. At the same time, I know that I will not physically die without it. It will not sustain me in any real way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.