Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My better half = more of me!

Recently, I have chosen not to self-identify on Facebook, Twitter, etc. etc. Nobody needs to know my religion, politics or what I do in the bedroom. But sometimes it helps for ME to know what I identify as, just to avoid confusion when I start talking to myself.


And I have concluded that life is lonely right now, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I am and actually want to be, for the first time, SINGLE. The question is: what the hell does that actually mean?

The first thing I think of is “single-serving” as in the “single-serving friends” acquired on a cross-country flight (a la Fight Club). But I've done the one-night (and one-morning) stand thing and the slut thing and both of those got old really, really fast (two months, tops).

I've also done the “take yourself on a date” thing, which isn't too bad. You get to eat what you want, watch what you want, and always make sure you're satisfied before you roll over and go to sleep. But it is definitely more expensive than letting someone else take you out.

And so, what have I concluded? Not much, it seems. But it is alright to be single and that doesn't mean you have to go to the bar on singles' night or bemoan your sorrows on Singles' Awareness Day (a.k.a. Valentine's Day). It just means you don't need a “better half” to be whole. And that's saying something.

Related Links:
Fight Club (1999)
Single-serving friend – Urban Dictionary definition
How to take yourself on a date - eHow.com
Singles' Awareness Website
Origins of “my better half” - phrases.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.