Thursday, June 2, 2011

Another OK Hypothesis

Image source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1YU8CU/survivingtheworld.net/Lesson962.html

In an earlier post, I discussed the possible origins of OK. There is one I missed completely, which is that during the VanBuren-Harrison political campaign of 1840, O.K. arrived as an abbreviation of "oll korrect". But what does "oll korrect" mean? Turns out it was an intentional misspelling by the press to immitate the Irish brogue pronounciation of "all correct" by immigrant Irishmen who were a large faction of the Whig Party supporting Harrison.

The "logical" leap to throwing bananas at each other, as expressed in the pic above, is just about as random. On a side note, I just thought of that song by Gwen Stephani when I typed out bananas (I always used to misspell it): B-A-N-A-N-A-S! That damn word even made me lose a spelling bee back in gradeschool. Sad to say I'm still sore about it.

Other OK posts:
Conundrum Pounding Out Okay
Okay, kiddo, you're overly kind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.