Monday, August 29, 2011

Your Decision

I feel myself slipping, my feet sliding under sand.
Your hands reach out to steady me before I fall too far.
You warned me. I can't count how many times you warned me.
But the current is dragging me away, pulling.
I want to swim. I want to prove to you that I can swim
with or without you holding my hand.

I still feel high on moonlit dancing.
That night we waded, out under a million dark stars.
Our white skin glistened like rocks so easily broken,
Specks of sand clinging to our naked legs and arms.
I wonder now if you are still listening.

A song started in my heart.
It beats double-time against my ribs.
In my every waking moment, I hear it singing,
And it calls me back to the water,
To wash away the salt of my tears.

I never knew the definition of lonely,
Until you dug a hole in me so deep
It can never be filled again.

I hold this, our secret,
Though everyone can see it
In the hunger on our lips.
I walk into the water, the waves lifting my skirts,
The current catching me up in turbulence,
My hair wild in the wind.

The decision is yours.
Will you rescue me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions, comments or concerns? Share them here.